Farm Store hours: Monday thru Friday 10am to 4pm
Farm Store open to the public
Our Farm Store is open to the public from 10am to 4pm Monday through Friday! You can purchase all of our chocolates here, including gifts such as our hats and t-shirts. Hope to see you there!
Our farm store operates under a Hawai'i County Agricultural-based Commercial Operation Certification where we sell all of our farm products.
2-hour afternoon guided tour and chocolate tastingHere's what makes our tour special!
- Hawaii is the only US state where cacao grows fruitfully and where we have a true branch to bar industry.
- The region of Hawaii produces some of the rarest cacao and chocolate on the planet
- Honoka'a Chocolate Co has received a total of 18 international awards for our chocolates within the last two years.
- You'll get to taste chocolate with naturally present fruity, floral, spice, and nutty flavors
- We are a real working chocolate farm with about 2.5 acres of cacao
- Our chocolate tasting is focused on education - you'll be a true chocolate connoisseur when we're through
- We taste the ripe cacao fruit year round
- We have an on-farm gift shop to visit after the tour and tasting
- Our friendly, knowledgeable staff are eager to help you
- Our tour and tasting is very highly rated on TripAdvisor, Yelp and Google. We received the Trip Advisor Traveler's Choice award in both 2020 and 2021.
Our goal during the guided tour and chocolate tasting is to change the way you think about chocolate, from where you purchase it to how you consume it. Hawaii is the only state where cacao is grown commercially, and Honokaa Chocolate Co is a great place to experience a cacao orchard first hand and to taste world-class fine chocolates. If you’ve never sampled craft chocolate, you’re in for a treat.Farm Tour
The first part of our 2-hour guided tour includes a trip to our orchard where we’ll get up-close and personal with our cacao trees and teach you everything we know about cacao, including how we grow the trees, harvesting, fermentation, drying of the cacao beans and resting periods.Chocolate Tasting
After the tour of our cacao orchard, we’ll venture up to our covered lanai and tasting area and we’ll open a ripe cacao pod and taste fresh cacao fruit. You’ll enjoy a 45 minute chocolate tasting with five of our current award-winning product offerings, including an example from one of the many global growing regions, highlighting the distinctive flavors created by the varying growing environments - the terroir as the wine industry has coined. Similar to a wine tasting, we’ll teach you how to taste chocolate like a connoisseur. You’ll also learn chocolate’s rich history, its health benefits (it’s a superfood!), the entire chocolate making process from roasting to tempering, and finally, we’ll take a close look at the global industry of cacao and chocolate and how it relates to Hawaii.Family-Friendly Options
Although we accept reservations for children between the ages of 5 and 10, this is an adult-centric experience. We invite those families with small children under 10 to stop by our gift shop between 10am and 4pm Monday through Friday as a preferable alternative to the tour and chocolate tasting. We have a friendly guide who will offer you chocolate samples and provide you with lots of fascinating information, and you’ll have the opportunity to purchase our chocolate products.
For those families that do decide to bring their children on the tour and tasting, we ask that you please respect the adult environment and minimize disruptions for the sake of our other customers. If your child needs some time away from the group, please feel free to return to your vehicle until they’re ready to return. Note that we do not offer tastings for children under the age of 5, as good quality craft chocolate contains a very strong stimulant called theobromine with similar effects to having a cup of coffee.
- Tours/tastings are by reservation only, and we have a two-person minimum. Tour fee is $80/adult and $65/child under 10.
- Our tours/tastings are limited to a maximum of 12 people
- This is an adult-centric tour. Although children under 10 are welcome to accompany you we suggest that families with young children visit the gift shop as a preferable alternative to the tour.
- Honokaa Chocolate Co is located on the Big Island’s north side in in the district of Hamakua just above Honoka’a town.
- After you book online, we’ll email you written driving directions to the Farm.
- Our tour fills up quickly so we suggest booking at least one week in advance of your visit to guarantee your spot.
- Cacao trees thrive in moist environments, so we operate rain or shine. It's a great rainy-day experience under our dry tasting area with a view of the entire farm.
- Visit our farm store after the tour to purchase our products.
- We operate our tours Monday thru Friday from 2 to 4pm, with a few exceptions, and the booking calendar will clarify those. If you have special needs or are interested in a group event, please use our contact page and let's see if we can make something work.
- Click on a calendar date for availability.
- Refund and Cancellation Policy: cancellations made 48 hours in advance will receive a full refund. All others will receive a partial refund of 50%. No-shows are non-refundable.