Join us for a cacao farm tour and chocolate tasting:
Factory Store open to the public
Our Factory Store is located in downtown Honoka'a at 45-3587 Mamane Street in the S. Hasegawa Building. It's open to the public from 11am to 4pm Monday through Saturday! We offer samples of our signature products and you can purchase all of our chocolates there, including gifts such as our hats and t-shirts. Hope to see you there!
2-hour guided cacao farm tour and chocolate tasting (by reservation)
An introduction to fine chocolate
Our farm tour takes place at our cacao farm just a 1/4 mile above Historic Honoka'a town. Our goal during the guided tour and chocolate tasting is to change the way you think about chocolate, from where you purchase it to how you consume it. Hawaii is the only state where cacao is grown commercially, and Honokaa Chocolate Co is a great place to experience a cacao orchard first hand and to taste world-class fine chocolates. If you’ve never sampled craft chocolate, you’re in for a treat.
Cacao Orchard Tour
The first part of our 2-hour guided tour includes a trip to our orchard where we’ll get up-close and personal with our cacao trees and teach you everything we know about cacao, including how we grow the trees, harvesting, fermentation, drying of the cacao beans and resting periods.
After the tour of our cacao orchard, we’ll venture up to our covered lanai and tasting area and we’ll open a ripe cacao pod and taste fresh cacao fruit (subject to availability). You’ll enjoy a 45 minute chocolate tasting with nine of our current award-winning product offerings. Similar to a wine tasting, we’ll teach you how to taste chocolate like a connoisseur. You’ll also learn chocolate’s rich history, its health benefits (it’s a superfood!), the entire chocolate making process from roasting to tempering, and finally, we’ll take a close look at the global industry of cacao and chocolate and how and where Hawaii's craft chocolate industry fits into it.
Chocolate Production Facility and Retail Store Tour
After the cacao farm tour concludes we caravan to our downtown Honoka'a retail store and production facility located about 1/2 mile from the farm. We'll take a short guided tour of our chocolate making facility, taste a few more chocolates and you'll be able to make purchases at the conclusion of the tour.
Although we accept reservations for children between the ages of 5 and 10, this is an adult-centric experience. We invite those families with small children under 10 to stop by our Factory store in downtown Honoka'a between 11am and 4pm Monday through Saturday as a preferable alternative to the tour and chocolate tasting. We have a friendly guide who will offer you chocolate samples and provide you with lots of fascinating information, and you’ll have the opportunity to purchase our chocolate products.
For those families that do decide to bring their children on the tour and tasting, we ask that you please respect the adult environment and minimize disruptions for the sake of our other customers. If your child needs some time away from the group, please feel free to return to your vehicle until they’re ready to return. Note that we do not offer tastings for children under the age of 5, as good quality craft chocolate contains a very strong stimulant called theobromine with similar effects to having a cup of coffee.
Here's what makes our tour special!
- Hawaii is the only US state where cacao grows fruitfully and where we have a true branch to bar industry.
- The region of Hawaii produces some of the rarest cacao and chocolate on the planet
- Honoka'a Chocolate Co has received a total of 45 international awards for our chocolates since 2020 from prestigious competitions that include the International Chocolate Awards, the Chocolate Alliance Awards, the Academy of Chocolate awards and the Good Food Awards.
- You'll get to taste chocolate with naturally present fruity, floral, spice, and nutty flavors
- We are a real working chocolate farm with about 2.5 acres of cacao
- Our chocolate tasting is focused on education - you'll be a true chocolate connoisseur when we're through
- We taste the ripe cacao fruit when available
- We visit the downtown store after the tour so that you can see our bright and shiny chocolate making machines and make purchases in our retail shop
- Our friendly, knowledgeable staff are eager to help you
- Our tour and tasting is very highly rated on TripAdvisor, Yelp and Google. We have received the Trip Advisor Traveler's Choice award from 2020 thru 2023.
- Tours/tastings are by reservation only, and we have a two-person minimum. Tour fee is $80/adult and $65/child under 10.
- Our tours/tastings are limited to a maximum of 12 people
- This is an adult-centric tour. Although children under 10 are welcome to accompany you we suggest that families with young children visit the gift shop as a preferable alternative to the tour.
- Honokaa Chocolate Co is located on the Big Island’s north side in in the district of Hamakua just above Honoka’a town.
- After you book online, we’ll email you written driving directions to the Farm.
- Our tour fills up quickly so we suggest booking at least one week in advance of your visit to guarantee your spot.
- Cacao trees thrive in moist environments, so we operate rain or shine. It's a great rainy-day experience under our dry tasting area with a view of the entire farm.
- We operate our tours Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2 to 4pm, with a few exceptions, and the booking calendar will clarify those. If you have special needs or are interested in a group event, please use our contact page and let's see if we can make something work.
- Click on a calendar date for availability.
- Refund and Cancellation Policy: cancellations made 48 hours in advance will receive a full refund. All others will receive a partial refund of 50%. No-shows are non-refundable.